The History of LED
1. In 1962, GE, Monsanto and IBM’s joint lab developed a red gallium arsenide phosphide(GaAsP) semiconductor, the visible light emitting diodes enter into the commercial development process.
2. In 1965, the world’s first commercial light-emitting diode born, it is made of germanium material can emitting infrared light LED, the price is approx $45. Shortly after that, Monsanto and Hewlett-Packard lunched a GaAsP material with the commercialization of the red LED.This luminous efficiency is about 0.1 lumens per watt. the average of 60-100 lumens per watt incandescent 15 watt to 100 times lower
3. In 1968, the R&D of the LED make a breakthrough to make efficient use of the nitrogen-doped GaAsP devices to reach 1 lumen per watt, also can emit red, orange and yellow light.
4. In 1971, the LED industry launched a Gap green LED chips with the same efficiency.
5. In the 1970s, due to the large number of applications LED devices in the home and office equipment, LED prices plummet. In fact, LED is the main market in the digital era and text display technology applications.
6. The major technological breakthrough is the development of a AlGaAsLED, capable of 10 lumens per watt luminous efficiency emits a red light in the early of 1980s. This make the LED can be used for the outdoor information publishing and automotive brake light (CHMSL) equipment.
7. In 1990, the industry has developed to provide the equivalent of the best red device performance AlInGaP technology, which is more than the standard GaAsP device performance was 10 times higher
8. From 1991 to 2001, materials technology, chip size and shape aspects of further development made the commercialization of the LED with increasing nearly 30 times of the luminous.
9. In 1994, the Japanese scientist Shuji Nakamura developed the first blue light emitting diode on the GaN substrate, which led to the GaN-based LED research and development boom.In 1996, the Japanese Nichia Corporation (Nichia) successfully developed a white LED.
10. In the end of the 1990s, As technology advances, the white LED fairly rapid development in recent years, white LED luminous efficiency has reached 38lm / W, laboratory research can reach 70lm / W, much higher than incandescent, approaching to the fluorescent bulbs.
In the recent years, as people continue to study in the semiconductor light-emitting materials, the development of the manufacturing technology, ultra-high brightness LED variety of colors made a breakthrough progress, its luminous efficiency is improved by nearly 1,000 times, and the color aspect has achieved all colors of visible light, the most important is the emergence of ultra-high brightness white LED, making the applications of LED become possible. It has been noted that the high-brightness LED will be one the greatest invention following the Edison’s incandescent light bulbs.
Phone: +8618825276110(whatsapp & Wechat)
Add: 5 Floor, Building 5, Yousong Industrial Park, Longhua Shenzhen China.